Today I spent nearly an hour online, signing up for loyalty
cards.
As a university student, it seems I am pretty much obligated
to be broke for most of this year. However, I’m not so keen on this idea,
having things I need to pay for (ok, mostly WANT to pay for – I still live at
home). So my solution?
ALL THE LOYALTY CARDS.
I already had Flybuys, Priceline, Cinebuzz and my personal
favourite, Boost, and today I added Everyday Rewards, MyerOne, Strandbags and
Dymocks. Perhaps most alarmingly, I actually found myself reading an article on
the A Current Affairs website about
the best loyalty cards. For shame, Liz. A Current Affair? For shame.
But I have to admit there is something sort of addictive
about lovely shiny plastic cards saving you money, even if you do have to spend
an exorbitant amount to actually gain any points. Free things? Yes! Things to
fill the card spots in my wallet? Double yes!
So far my Boost card has been well and truly worth it – I’ve
had at least 5 or 6 free Boost juices and two free ones on my birthday. And I’m
liking my Cinebuzz card – free movies just for going to the movies? Yay! Can’t
wait till my card upgrades to VIP status and I start earning points even more
quickly!
Alarmingly, that number of free Boosts I have spent upwards
of $300 on Boost over the past 3 years. And the fact that I am even eligible
for VIP status says a lot about my discretionary spending habits – you have to
see a lot of movies to get that. I
get the feeling that though loyalty cards make you feel like you’re saving, in
the end, the company gains a lot more – your choice to shop at their store
rather than another, and plenty of personal information about your spending
habits.
So perhaps my loyalty cards won’t save me that much money in
the end, and maybe they do mean that people are using my information to fuel
our consumer-driven society… but they are fun, and if they mean I can get a
free juice once or twice a year, I’m a nearly broke student. So I’m keen.
No comments:
Post a Comment