Blog has moved, searching new blog...

expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Square eyes

Anyone who knows me will know that I am a bit of a TV fan. I get really excited by great screenwriting and I love that when you’re watching TV shoes, rather than in movies, you can follow the characters for a lot longer, and get to know them a lot better. Perhaps I should spend more time outside or with real people, yeah, but in TV world, everything is just more FUN.

So I thought I’d write a little bit about my favourite TV shows of all time, and how I came to watch them, and why I was hooked.

Sea Patrol
Sea Patrol was, to be honest, a fairly average Australian drama that ran on Channel 9 from 2007 and 2011. It wasn’t brilliant, but it holds a special place in my heart because it was the first ‘adult show’ I was allowed to watch on a regular basis. I loved the characters, and gradually converted many of my friends to watching it, so that I could talk to someone about it the day after it screened. I didn’t miss an episode, and if I couldn’t see it on the night it screened, I watched it the very next day.
Friends
Friends has always been something I’ve watched if it was on TV, but it was really only during the HSC that I started watching it heaps. I have now officially seen every episode ever made, most more than once, and I love it. I now own the entire box set. The characters are brilliant, the storylines are hilarious, and Ross and Rachel’s will-they-won’t-they is one of television’s greatest love stories. Also: BRILLIANT finale. Just amazing.

Scrubs
Scrubs is a more recent addiction, but I’ve still seen all the episodes, and I think it’s one of the greatest shows possibly ever… The acting, characters and writing are all equally brilliant, and it is just so funny. But then at other points it’s so poignant! Highly recommended, but skip Season 9 unless you want to be left feeling slightly let down. Season 8 is the perfect end.

Community
Community is probably my most recent TV discovery, but I love it. It’s just started screening on SBS 2 in Australia at 7pm, so I really think you should start watching it! My favourite season is the third, particularly the Glee and Law and Order parody episodes. But the highlight of every episode is Abed. Abed is the product of a genius writer. I am a little worried about Season 4, from what I’ve heard, but I will still watch it.

Downton Abbey
Downton is one of those shows that you love and love and love and then it rips your heart out. Season 3 and Christmas episode, I’m looking at you. That said, Downton is the only period drama I watch, and I can’t watch anything else in that genre without comparing it to Downton. Highlights include the brilliant sets and costumes and the fabulous Dowager Countess, played by Maggie Smith. I also feel like Lady Mary is a lot like me (a bit meaner than me in Season 1, but she gets better!), so that’s probably another reason I  like it.

Parenthood
I haven’t actually seen all of Parenthood, because I only started watching in Season 3 or part way through Season 2, but I’m really impressed by it. It seems very realistic, and the acting is superb. I think what makes it so realistic is that they all talk over the top of each other, and they make mistakes in what they’re saying, so it’s how humans actually talk. Clever stuff.

Finally… my all-time favourite… Gilmore Girls
Yep, it’s probably a bit dorky, but I ADORE Gilmore Girls. I’m so glad my friends introduced me to it, because it’s just exactly the sort of show I love – fantastic, character-driven plots, long seasons and long episodes, BRILLIANT writing and two strong, smart female leads. Yep, it doesn’t get much better than that. Also, I kind of am Rory… nerdy Journalism student who hates sport, loves reading and has a great relationship with her mum.

So let me know – what are your favourite shows? What should I watch next? I’ve seen Season 1 of Parks and Recreation and that seems promising, and I’ve had 30 Rock recommended to me, as well as The Office, but I’d love another serious drama (with 40-minute episodes!) if you have any suggestions! I've started The West Wing but something that takes SLIGHTLY less concentration would be great, because oh man, they speak so fast on that show.

No comments:

Post a Comment