Blog has moved, searching new blog...

expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, May 31, 2012

One of the boys

I am a teenage girl. I imagine that all sorts of stereotypes have just jumped to your mind: makeup, One Direction, hopeless crushes, 3-hour long phone conversations... And apart from One Direction, yep, I am kind of like that. Also the hopeless crush morphed into a boyfriend about two and a half years ago.

So being such a girl, I have more male friends than female. I have a few very close female friends, but then the rest are all boys. I'm not really sure why it happened, but I find myself getting on really well with boys. I don't have any brothers, and I get on really well with girls too, but I know I would never cope in a girls-only school. Sleepovers with girls are fine, but I'm going on schoolies with a mixed group, mostly because we girls didn't know what we'd do for a week or so by ourselves!

Recently, my male friend called me a 'bro'. I took this as a massive compliment, as I hope it was intended. I'm delighted by the fact that I find it easy to relate to boys, because in the 'real world', I'm going to have to talk to all sorts of people, male and female.

I think that boys can teach girls a lot. My girl friends and I joke about 'typical boy behaviour', but then we turn around and realise that it is this behaviour that girls could benefit from. Caring a bit less and taking friendships lightly are things that boys are particularly good at. Girls, who tend to get caught up in the smallest details of who said what about who, could learn a lot from the way boys let things slide off them.

One thing that scares me about leaving school is leaving these boys behind. Or should I say men now? They've been such a big part of my life and I don't want to lose them now.

Sorry for being soppy, gentlemen. Remember I am a girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment